Monday, April 20, 2009

Charleston Dr. Update

We spent the weekend in Charleston, SC and it was so nice. Perfect weather and Alex did great the whole time including the drive. Saturday we got in, in the afternoon and after checking into the hotel we went to the beach for an hour. Alex didn't quite know what to make of the water but it was fun. Saturday we drove out to Magnolia Plantation and walked the gardens. It was beautiful. Then we went into Charleston and walked around the market and my parents favorite candy store that has the best pralines in the world!! We drove down to the Battery area and walked around the park and up and down differnt streets. Just relaxing to walk around without a set adgenda or time-frame. That night we ate at Water's Edge. It was VERY good, I highly recommend the salmon! Monday, fun time over, we packed up checked out, got breakfast and headed to the hospital. My mind was racing and my stomach was in knots, I don't know why I am so at peace with things until I actually go to the Dr.....maybe it's just denial that anything is wrong until I am facing it head on. UGH!!! Anyway, I did like this Dr. and he said that he was sure that it was Cystic Hygroma (which we already knew) and he gave the run-down of possible options: surgery or sclerotherpy (ie chemo). He said that before we make any decisions they want to do an MRI. All we know is what we can see on his neck/back....we don't know what or how extensive it could be, where we can see (it could be in his chest and we just can't see it). So the MRI will tell them everything they need to know. We are set up to go the last week of May and he will be put to sleep for the MRI since you have to be still, and there is no way to keep a 6mo old still!!! After the MRI we will meet with another Dr. that will evaluate him and let us know what sclerotherapy options may be best for him. The Dr. said that they would like to try that first instead of surgery if possible. I think that there are just more risks with surgery in the neck area where so many nerves are located. So we are back in the wait period. I think I am ok, but haven't really processed everything yet. We have not ruled out staying with our Dr. in Greenville. We just don't know and have not really had the time to process. Prayer, that is what we need....that and for time to just stand still long enough for me to breathe and appreciate my kids while they are kids. Time is just gone before I know it....with my work and the Dr. appts it seems like my life is just one schedule after another!! I will upload some photos from Charleston very soon, if you are my friend on Face Book I have already uploaded some there.

Special thanks to my Mom and Dad who helped with Ella while we were gone, they have been so amazing any time we have needed them, they are there no questions asked...I hope Stephen and I are as good to our children as they have been to us!

Another special thanks to all of you who I know check this blog and some that I don't...Thanks for your prayers, they are felt and so needed. If you check in on this blog every now and then and would like to, leave a comment, you don't have to really say anything just let me know you stopped by so I can say a prayer of thanks specifically for you!

Holly

4 comments:

Rachel said...

thanks for the update. you guys have been on my mind all day. i'm really glad you had a day to relax and have fun! i'll keep praying

Lana said...

We will continue to keep you all in our prayers! :) Lana

Kelli said...

thanks for keeping us updated Holly. You will continue to be in my prayers! I am glad you, Alex & Stephen were able to make a nice trip out of the whole thing though! Beautiful pic's on facebook (per my MANY comments) :) As always, we are thinking of you and your family!

Kimberly said...

Sweet Holly, I am praying. Would you be okay with me doing a post on my blog and linking to his Caringbridge page? Just so others can be praying, too? Let me know. I don't want to do anything that would make you uncomfortable.

Much love to you, Stephen, and your sweeties,
K