Friday, October 17, 2008

Alex's Dr. Appointment Update

We made it through the day! I never thought this day would get here...it's been a long week. We went to Children's Hospital and met with Dr. Chandler with Pediatric Surgery. He looked Alex over and right away was able to confirm that it was a Cystic Hygroma or Lymphatic Malformation. I thought for sure he would say that they would plan for surgery in the next couple of months but he actually said that he would like to see Alex every couple of months and hopefully they could wait until he is around 1 to try a new treatment. It will be an injection that will hopefully disintegrate it completely. Of course things could change between now and then. He said that he would keep a close watch on it and if he needed surgery because of infection or because it may continue to grow then he could always go that route. But he would prefer to wait as long as he can and would prefer the treatment over surgery. He also said that Alex has the type of CH that is the better kind to have. I can't remember the types but one is multiple cysts that is harder to treat and Alex has the type that is just one.

So, how do I feel??? I feel good about the Dr. he seemed to know a lot about CH even though he said that they only see about 1 case a year. That's hard to imagine, at a big hospital only 1 case a year. I knew that this was very rare but that really put that less that 1% into perspective. I feel relieved that we know for sure what it is and that the Dr. is confident that it is treatable, although with CH there is always the chance of it coming back no matter what treatment you have. I feel somewhat frustrated that we will still just have to do the wait and see what happens potentially for a year. I am worried about what the medical bills are going to look like. I feel mentally and physically exhausted, all the wondering and waiting plus still trying to deal with the complications I have had from the c-section, I am tired but functioning! However, I feel blessed that I have a savior that already knows the outcome and carries me...even when I don't know it or how much I fight it and try to carry it all myself. I know that God will provide all of our needs: from calming me from the stress, taking care of Alex, meeting our financial, mental, physical and emotional needs. I am thankful for the most wonderful husband, what a gift he is to me and our children. I am also thankful for family and friends who uplift me. One day I might even be thankful that we had to endure this, there is a reason and a purpose. I don't know what that is right now and frankly I wish we didn't have to go through it, but I have faith enough to know that God's plan is divine and this is just a part of His plan.

Thank you all for your continued prayers for Alex and all of us!!!

Holly

3 comments:

Kelli said...

Holly SO happy to hear the positive outcome for Alex's treatment! God is an AWESOME God! :) Hopefully you can take a deep breathe and relax some now and heal yourself! Been thinking of you guys all day!

Love, Kelli & Delaney

Mel said...

wonderful news Holly and such cute pix of Ella and Alex ;p)
Take good care of yourself, you have so much goodness in your heart.
XXO-Mel

Kimberly said...

Holly, I am so glad that they are looking at not having to do surgery! I will be praying for you as you are waiting!

Thanks so much for your prayers!

I love all of the pictures of your cuties! They looked so precious as a doggy and bumble bee!

Blessings!
K